Ophrah’s interview with Duchess Meghan and Prince Harry has become a hot topic in the country. While the media too is set ablaze, Di Piers Morgan – co-host on ITV’s “Good Morning Britain is said to be leaving his co-host position on the show. The stance comes after he was investigated for his commentary on Duchess Meghan and Prince Harry’s interview with Oprah.
ITV has confirmed to USA Today about Morgan’s departure from the program in a Tuesday statement, “Following discussions with ITV, Piers Morgan has decided now is the time to leave ‘Good Morning Britain.” ITV has acknowledged his decision.
The U.K’s Office of Communication stated that they had received more than 41,000 complaints from the public concerning Morgan’s comments in the Sunday interview.
“We have launched an investigation into Monday’s episode of Good Morning Britain under our harm and offence rules,” the communications spokesperson shared with USA Today.
The statement that captivated everybody’s attention during the interview was when Meghan shared how she “didn’t want to be alive anymore” because she struggled to fit in with the monarchy. She also shared that her request for help was rejected. Morgan drew condemnation after saying on Monday that he “didn’t believe a word” the duchess said.
“I’m sorry, I don’t believe a word she says, Meghan Markle. I wouldn’t believe her if she read me a weather report,” Morgan said Monday. “The fact that she’s fired up this onslaught against our royal family, I think is contemptible.”
On Tuesday’s episode, Morgan fumed off the set of the program after a heated discussion with a fellow presenter about Harry and Meghan’s accusations about racism in the royal family.
On the other hand, before ITV announced Morgan’s exit Buckingham Palace delivered a response to the Winfrey interview, mentioning the couple’s allegations of racism and lack of support are taken “very seriously” and will be addressed by the royal family “privately.
“The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan. The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning,” the statement read. “While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”
There has been no immediate comment from Harry and Meghan. It may be but not clear if they would like to deal behind closed doors with the whirlwind they and Winfrey set loose outside.
On one side, there is a storm of shouting media coverage on the shocking revelations the Duke, and Duchess of Sussex made to Winfrey explaining why they stepped down from their royal roles and flew to America last year. On the other, is a short contrasting statement from the royal family.
Their assertions that racism and lack of support drove them away left the British monarchy in “crisis” as media commentators in the U.K. took turns criticizing Harry and Meghan or pursuing answers from the palace about their allegations.
The two-hour interview, which aired Sunday on CBS in America, was displayed on ITV Monday night in the U.K. It was unclear whether the queen or other senior royals, such as Prince Charles, Harry’s father, viewed it, but it was reported that the queen was informed of it by palace officials.